Mining Educational Program
Learn to use the tools and techniques of the Keweenaw miners.
Learn the Tools and Techniques
Experience mining underground with our 6-hour drilling workshops. Starting with historic methods and progressing to more recent technology, learn to use the tools and techniques of the Keweenaw miners. Participants will set up and operate air compressors, pneumatic jack-leg rock drills, and learn many tasks related to the safe and efficient uses of the equipment. All required safety gear and training is provided.
Hands-on Mining Education
You will learn:
- History and techniques of hand drilling
- Technologies used in the copper country and modern technologies in use worldwide today
- Unique difficulties of native copper mining
- Safety aspects of mining and hands-on training
- Verifying mine safety and addressing poor ground conditions
- Compressed air safety including compressor operation and safe air line practices
- Set up and operation of pneumatic rock drills
- Theory, use, and installation of rock bolts and other roof support technologies
- Explosives theory and technique
The workshops will be a conversation and hands-on based instruction while maintaining a very safety-oriented environment. Participants are encouraged and expected to ask questions and should expect it to be physically demanding, physically dirty, and fun.
Participants will be in a small group of two to six persons. All participants must be in good physical shape, able to stand and walk on uneven terrain, and able to lift 50 pounds. All safety gear is provided and must be worn when appropriate. Liability waivers must be signed by all participants.
Duration: 1.5 hours
Price: $36 for Adults. $16 for 6-12 yr olds. Free for 0-5 yr olds.
Minimum Age: None
What’s Different? Easy hike that is accessible to the entire family.
Duration: 2-3 hours
Minimum Age: 12 years old
What’s Different? This is the only tour where you rappel 80 feet to another part of the mine.
Duration: 5-6 hours
Minimum Age: 13 years old
What’s Different? This is a hiking tour that descends to the second level, where many mining artifacts were left by early miners.